The S-EWO module, as EWO module, is one of the activities provided for by the companies that apply the strategies of World Class Manufacturing: the first pillar of WCM, “Safety“, is truly that dedicated to safety.
The name resemblance derives from the fact that, while EWO stands for Emergency Work Order, the prefix “S” stands for “Safety“, indicating the fact that this module is not dedicated to machines, but to people, or better, to workers safety.
The S-EWO Module has the clear objective of highlighting the potentially hazardous situations and starting the useful accident prevention actions.
For example, the S-EWO module could signal a slippery rung, or a shelf not well fixed to the wall and therefore risking falling on someone, etc. At the same time, it generates a process in order to analyze the necessary actions so that the reported accident can no longer be repeated.
The NeXT S-EWO module
First of all, our S-EWO application places the user in front of a dashboard from which he can view all the modules inserted.
From the dashboard it is possible to see the list of modules, their status (the compilation starts a validation process that is different from company to company), the name of the injured person, the severity, the location, the date of registration, the name of the compiler.
The process that starts immediately after filling out an S-EWO module can be different for every company: the person in charge of compilation, fills out the form, and after that the module is sent to a body (committee, approval team, etc.) which must examine it, and decide the actions to be taken so that the accident can no longer be repeated.
But let’s see how to fill out an S-EWO module following an accident at work.
First of all, enter all the data that help contextualizing the incident: name of the injured person, office, location, names of any witnesses, accident date, call date, compilation date.
Then we can describe the accident and establish its severity. The description will be both analytical and synthetic (What, when, where, who, which, how).
Then we go into detail, pointing out the individual parts of the body affected by the accident, including the statements of any witnesses.
We then proceed to the “5 why” analysis. A possible countermeasure is described (the approval body will have decision-making power on this section). A delivery date is fixed: this is a date, within which, the potential hazardous situation will be resolved.
S-EWO Module: Approval process
Before discussing the approval process, we explain which are the “figures” involved in the process:
- The person in charge: fills out the S-EWO module and sends it to the approval body
- The approval body: modifies and approves the module, and submits it to re-examination. You can propose an extension of the module (or an extension of the solution of the module), by sending it to the Management
- The Management: can decide whether or not to extend the proposed solution, for other company headquarters.
So, these are the steps if you want to outline the flow:
- Filling out and sending of the S-EWO Module to the approval body
- The approval body examines the module and proposes the solution. The module is sent to a new examination
- Once this new verification has been completed, the approval body may optionally propose an extension of the use of the solution (for other headquarters, departments, etc.): then send the module to the Management
In addition to reporting accidents, the S-EWO module also includes a tool, called TAG, which helps prevent the occurrence of the accident.
When someone notices a potential hazard (a slippery ladder, a piece of protruding sheet, etc.), he can report it to the person in charge, who can fill out a TAG, as shown in the figure below.
The TAG is followed by one or more actions aimed at avoiding the future occurrence of the problem.
Advantages of S-EWO modules
Like all WCM instruments, the purpose of this module is to eliminate waste. If neglected, safety can certainly bring much more waste than you might think:
- waste of time for the interruption which obviously involves the intervention to provide care to a person;
- waste of time due to the absence of an expert who may not be able to work for a few days;
- waste of time specific to any reactive type of operation, that is when it is already late;
- waste of time due to long periods of investigation to get to the bottom of the causes and responsibilities.
The purpose of the S-EWO module is not to solve the single problem, but to permanently eliminate each potential cause of injury.
I would like to receive information regarding this solution
NeXT is a software house that produces and sells softwares developed to provide information and aggregate data to company management, supporting its operational decision making.
NeXT can guarantee excellent quality service, unique in the whole industry, thanks to agent-based technology programming.
Where to find us
Operational headquarter:via Ancona 55/A 60030, Castelbellino (AN)
Registered office: via Nazario Sauro 11/a 60035, Jesi (AN)
Tel: +39 0731696646
Fax: +39 0731690464
VAT reg.: 02510420421